1811 Engraving of Eglinton Castle
Added by: Places That We Know
02 Apr. 2020
Published in public domain under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 4.0 International license
Engraving of the north side of Eglinton Castle from 1811, taken from William Aiton General View of the Agriculture of the County of Ayr. Eglinton Castle was once the seat of the Montgomery family who held the Earl of Eglinton title. Owning many lands and estates in Cunninghame they were influential in agricultural and industrial developments in the 18th and 19th centuries. The castle itself eventually fell into disrepair, eventually being abandoned in 1925. After partial demolition only one of the characteristic four towers remains.