River of Stories
A 360° journey
How to watch in VR
You can watch the film using a computer or a mobile device. To experience the film in VR, you'll need a Google Cardboard or other VR headset.
If you are using a Google Cardboard you will need:
- A Mobile Phone (Android or iOS) or computer.
- YouTube App (optional but will allow you higher quality video options).
- Good internet connection - you’ll be streaming a video, so it’s advisable you have a stable internet connection for an uninterrupted, and high quality, experience.
- Earphones or Headphones. You can use your phone’s speaker, but we advise headphones or earphones for the full immersive experience.
- Space - It can be easy to forget you’re in the real world when watching a Virtual Reality video, so it’s best to find a comfy spot to sit back, relax, and enjoy the adventure!
How to set up the Google Cardboard:
Take the headset from its sleeve, follow the steps below to construct:
Before inserting your phone into the slot in the Google Cardboard Headset, it’s best to set up the film first. Here’s how to do that:
- Download YouTube app from Google Play or App Store.
- Scan the QR code on the Cardboard Sleeve, The Cardboard Glasses, Pamphlet or go to http://www.placesthatweknow.org/vr.
- This will take you to the VR 360 film on the PTWK website and will be played through YouTube.
- You can adjust the video quality in YouTube before you go into ‘cardboard mode’ by going to the three ellipses in the top right corner of your screen, hitting ‘Quality’ > Advanced > Select the video quality you’d prefer. We recommend the highest quality.
- Open the video to full screen, then switch to ‘cardboard mode’ by hitting the icon above the ‘play’ bar on the YouTube video.
- Put on your headphones.
- Hit play and slide your mobile into the Cardboard. Make sure the line in the centre of the screen is aligned in the centre between the two lenses.
- You can use the silver button on the top right of the cardboard to pause and play the video.
- If, while watching the film, you feel in any way nauseous - remove the headset and take a break.
- Otherwise sit back, relax, and watch the stories unfold!
Come with us now on a journey into the past, as we pluck tales like droplets from the swirling waters of the Garnock. Don’t be afraid, let go and slip deep into the river of time.
Using 360° technology to transport you across time and space, River of Stories allows you to step inside 5 magical and mysterious stories from the lands surrounding the River Garnock:
- St Winning & the River Curse
- The Maid & the Missing Silverware
- Ringan Semple, the Warlock of Peel Island
- The Deil’s hoofprint at Ardrossan Castle
- Cleeves Coves: The Great Court of the Elfhame
River of Stories was developed through collaboration and consultation with local people across the Muirshiel Hills, Lochwinnock, the Garnock Valley, Three Towns, Kilwinning & Irvine.
Special thanks to:
Calum Muir, Sean Bruijstens, Neil Fergusson, Sophie Gardiner, The Ardrossan Castle Heritage Society and all those who have supported the project and took part in the VR consultation in 2020 and 2021.
River of Stories was made possible thanks to the generous support of the National Lottery Heritage Fund and the Nature Scot Green Infrastructure Fund. The film was produced as part of the Places That We Know community heritage interpretation project for Garnock Connections.