Clocktower of former Eglinton Ironworks Institute
Added by: Places That We Know
03 Apr. 2020
Published in public domain under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 4.0 International license
The Eglinton Iron Works Institute was built in 1900 to provide health, educational and recreational facilities for the workers of the Eglinton Ironworks. It was designed with reading rooms and a library, two halls for recreational use and public baths (as cottages provided for workers had no sanitary facilities). After the Ironworks closed in 1924 it was used as an extra building of Eglinton Ironworks School. Since 1975 it has been a community centre, currently known as Nethermains Community Centre.
Kilwinning & Dalgarven