Added by: Places That We Know
01 Apr. 2020
Published in public domain under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 4.0 International license
On the northern edge of Kilwinning is the stone built Garnock Viaduct. Built in 1888 for the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway, it has a length of 122m long stands 25 metres high above the River Garnock below and is formed of seven arches with spans of 15m each. The railway line that once ran over it closed to passenger traffic in 1932, and freight trains in 1953. Today it is part of the National Cycle Route number 7.
Kilwinning & Dalgarven