Regal Picture House Memory
Added by: Bypass ART
26 Jul. 2020
Published in public domain under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 4.0 International license
The Regal Picture House was built in 1935 by a Glasgow based company and was Art Deco in style. It had plush red velvet seating and seemingly the back row of the balcony didn't have any arm rests - this would have made them a popular choice for courting couples! It was privately owned by Andy Glen who also owned the Roxy. It later changed hands and the new owner was Lennox McNeill. After its closure the building fell into disrepair and was later demolished. The present Regal Court was built on the site in 1988 by North Ayrshire Council and contains 22 flats which are mainly 'supported' housing for older people.